Archives of April 2005
Romanian language file added to The Rasterbator, thanks to Vlad Dumitreanu for the translation!
Categories: Art, Creations, Programming
Posted by Matias at 24.04.2005 18.47 (10 years ago) | 10 comments
I made a small game for the band of my friend's friends, Apulanta,
in which you're - obviously - a maniac who tries to shoot the band
members. Maybe not my favourite type of music, but they have a huge
audience (the cd went straight to top of the charts) and the game idea
was too great to pass. The game was ready a month ago and it should
have been published then, at the same time as their new album came out,
but for some reasons the promo site for the new album, Kiila, was delayed and it
opened last Monday, I think.
My opinion is that the game turned out pretty well: it's honest, naive, tasteless cartoon violence aimed to please the teenaged splatter freak in all of us. Although the graphics (and the entire game concept) are really simple, the gameplay is quite nice, at least if you have fast enough computer. Especially the machine gun has a great feel to it. The people who provided the sounds did quite a good job. And I finally got the chance to try some silly splatter effects with Flash. At least the fans seem to like it.
Here's a direct link to the game if you don't want to go through the site. Try to get to level 3, in which
you get the assault rifle and the game gets a lot more fun:
dismemberment ensues. If it is too hard, here's a clue: what do people need to move quickly?
Posted by Matias at 24.04.2005 18.48 (10 years ago) | 19 comments
I visited London last week for three days. The trip was work-related
so I didn't have very much time for personal escapades, but it was nice
to see the climes the coevals of Isaac Newton (with de Dullier of
course) had treaded - such as Traitor's Gate, the Monument and White
Tower - intertwined with modern urbanity even briefly. Thanks to my hosts, who were extremely hospitable.
Here are some images from the trip, of course almost exclusively the major sights.
Categories: Events, Photography
Posted by Matias at 19.04.2005 22.08 (10 years ago) | 6 comments
We were in Oslo during Easter. The idea originated from an
advertisement of Inferno Festival, which told that one of the best
bands, Arcturus, played there. I had not seen the band
before, but the trip was well worth it. Of course, the attandance to
the festival expanded into a short holiday.
Here is a quick summary:
- The show of Arcturus gained a place in my "top3 shows ever" list. The show was even more theatrical than the music. When playing The Chaos Path, there were about 20 actors on stage performing different circus-like things, which fitted the music perfectly. The Rockefeller Music Hall, where the festival was held is quite like Tavastia Klubi, but bigger and with three-level auditorium.
- No smoking allowed in a club is a great idea, hopefully the ban will come effective in Finland, too
- The Norweigian hotel breakfasts are obscene (in a gluttonious way)
- Oslo has a poshy center with gaudy glass buildings and tactless shopping centers and that's where everything and everyone are. Then there are a few quieter shopping streets, and the rest lies in quietude.
- I would like to live in Grünerløkka
For elaboration, view the images.